This week, we were delighted to have Manchester United club legends and ambassadors, Bryan Robson and Denis Irwin join us at Mlily to take over our social media accounts for a fan Q&A. Read on for some great answers to good questions from Robson and Irwin themselves…
What was it like playing for Sir Alex Ferguson?
Sir Alex was a great experience, personally for me. All he ever demanded was that you try your best and that suited me down to the ground. He asked that you worked hard in training, work hard in each match, learn from your mistakes and be the best you possibly can.
- What is your favourite football memory?
Definitely the 10 days in 1999… finishing and beating FC Bayern Munich at Camp Nou to win the Champions League. I think as a professional footballer, it doesn’t get better than that.
- What would you change about your playing career?
Well I’ve got no regrets, it is what it is. I’ve had up’s and down’s- being let go at Leeds United and then making it at Manchester United for 12 glorious years. So I wouldn’t change a thing.
- How important is sleep the night before a match?
Sir Alex Ferguson always said rest and recuperation is so important. So it’s vitally important for me to get a good night’s sleep the night before an important game.
- What is your biggest individual accomplishment?
Playing a fantastic game against Liverpool in a really awful cup final in 1996. But it one of my best performances and I’m really proud of it.
- Who was the toughest player to defend?
Hristo Stoichkov. He was the best Bulgarian player, who also played for Barcelona. Top player who was aggressive and quick to score goals.
- Any tips for aspiring players?
Listen, football is about enjoyment so do enjoy it. Listen to your coaches, practice as hard as you can and play with a smile on your face!
- What’s your favourite away stadium?
My favourite away stadium is Villa Park, probably because I won many semi-finals there and also in the league we always seemed to do well there. It was a big pitch and a traditional stadium.
- Which academy player in the last few years, are you most excited to see play this season?
Mason Greenwood. He’s quick, intelligent, and can get his shot off quickly with either foot.
- What is your favourite ever Man United kit?
The new one, of course! (20/21 home kit.)
- Who was your favourite dressing room friend?
My best friend over the years at Manchester United was Steve Bruce, I still go away on holiday with him and our families are very close.
- Which youngster do you think will break through this season?
Amad Diallo. He’s quick, direct and he’s proven he can score goals so hopefully he can continue that at a Man United level.
- Which current Man United player would you like to play with?
Paul Pogba. I would like to play with him right on the ball and I think I could get the best out of him.
- Which teammate was the best trainer during pre-season?
One player who was always brilliant in pre-season training was Ryan Giggs. He was fit as fanatic and he always tried really hard.